Autumn

Autumn

Sunday, January 3, 2010

On the Road Heart Thrives Review

I traveled with my family to visit my grandparents this past weekend and used the opportunity to try two flavors of Heart Thrives on the go. First I tried the Apple flavor as a light lunch with carrots and hummus.





I give it an 8.5 out of 10! It has a nice, strong green apple flavor and my first thought was that it was like a portable apple crisp. It was chewy with apple chunks and a nice sweetness, though perhaps just a bit too sweet for my liking - more of a dessert flavor with the nutrients of a meal (that's good though, right?!). Of course, I'm not a big fan of sweet things. I did let my brother and father try little bites of this flavor too. Both are pretty anti-health food, and my brother said it tasted dry and powdery with a hint of sugar. My father had a similar reaction and said it should be called Apple sawdust and should be dipped in sugar. Well, I guess this just shows you how different taste preferences can be! Later this weekend I tried the Cranberry Heart Thrives.





I give this flavor 7.5 out of 10. It was oaty and semi-sweet with a tinge of sour. It was chewy like the others with a texture that reminded me of coconut. For some reason it just didn't impress me as much as the apple, which is definitely my favorite so far! I think that perhaps the cranberry flavor wasn't quite strong enough. I think I'll try to experiment more with the remaining flavors if I don't eat them on the go. I think they could be quite tasty with warm peanut butter or even some nuts to add some crunch... we'll see! Happy New Year everyone!

And tomorrow I have my impacted wisdom teeth removed. Keep me in your prayers if you so choose - maybe I'll be able to post a picture of some smoothies if I'm feeling up to it since that's all I'll be able to consume for the first day or two.



space

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have not seen these before, but I will keep my eyes peeled for them, for sure.

    Good luck tomorrow!! If you are anything like me, you will heal well. Just don't drink through any straws, and keep hydrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I like your dad's review "apple sawdust"

    They sound good to me and I agree with what you said about eating it with Warm PB. Everything tastes better with PB

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it :-).