Autumn

Autumn

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

CSN Stores Review: yogurt maker and bowl

Remember waayyy back when I said I was going to do a review with CSN Stores (here)?  Now is that time :-).  I ended up purchasing a Tribest Yolife Yogurt Maker and a Mikasa Antique White 9.4" Cereal Bowl with my $40 gift certificate.

Here's the yogurt maker in all its glory:





9 of 10.  It is so satisfying to make your own yogurt - and less plastic waste too!  It is time consuming though, primarily because you have to heat your milk (stirring regularly) to a specific temperature before adding active yogurt or a starter culture and then placing it in jars in the yogurt maker.  Once it's in the yogurt maker though, you just let it sit for 8-12 hrs.  That's the easy part ;-).  Afterwards you have nice homemade yogurt to do what you want with - and I used mine to make oatgurt with oats and frozen berries - yum!  I love how this particular yogurt maker also came with a larger lid so I make even bigger batches of yogurt if I want to share it with others or use larger amounts in recipes.  One possible negative I've noticed is that the yogurt I've made so far has had almost a gritty texture in places.  I wonder if this is because I don't mix the active yogurt and milk well enough?  I should probably look into that... though I don't notice it at all in my oatgurt, just when I eat it plain. 

Now for the cute (I want to say little, but it's actually quite large) bowl I got:



10 of 10.  I really can't think of anything bad about this bowl.  It's simple, elegant, and a great size for salads, chili, oats, etc.  It's also microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher safe - yay!

I definitely recommend checking out CSN Stores.  They have great customer service, a wide range of products, good prices, and even free shipping on some items :-).


WARNING: this next picture contains BROCCOLI WORMS... skip over it if you are weak of stomach!  :-)


Broccoli fresh from an organic garden is awesome - just be sure you very thoroughly rinse and clean it or you may find these:


Ewwww!  Yes, that was my first reaction when I reached the bottom of this tubberware container of steamed broccoli.  My second reaction was, "Have I already eaten some of these?!"  I guess I'll never know... but I will be more observant when I eat fresh broccoli from now on since I know to look out for broccoli worms! 

Happy Hump Day!


~

3 comments:

  1. 1st...ewwww, on the worms! We had a terrible time with them in our garden - they literally demolished several cabbage plants! 2nd - it's funny you reviewed a yogurt maker, and made yogurt...my post tomorrow is about the yogurt we just made in the crock pot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On no! I would have heaved a bit if I saw these at the bottom of my bowl...I found a few small gnats on my cauliflower yesterday...I guess that is what happens when you buy organic (but it is worth it)! I would love to try that yogurt contraption...so many different varieties/flavors to experiment with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. I know bugs are a part of purchasing organic, but it gets me every time. At least you know for sure there weren't any pesticides in there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it :-).