Autumn

Autumn

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Clif C Review!

The wonderful people from Clif Bar and Company sent me some samples to try and also review on my blog.  They are definitely one of my favorite companies, so this was an honor :-).  The first bars I tried were their new Clif C bars, similar to Larabars except they add a bit of sea salt to enhance the flavor.  Some of you may also be interested to know that the Clif C bars have fewer calories.  I personally think the Clif C bars are a little more pleasing to the eye because they have a crust layer of almonds, macadamia nuts, dates, and salt topped with a layer of fruit with toasted nuts on top.  It's truly beautiful!  The only downside is that the top layer is a tad sticky since it's pure fruit.  Here is a link where you can find more info. on Clif C: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_c/

Here are my ratings of the 4 flavors:

APPLE


Ingredients:Organic Dates, Almonds, Organic Apples, Macadamia Nuts, Organic Apple Juice Concentrate, Organic Lemon Juice Concentrate, Organic Cinnamon, Sea Salt (Real Salt®), Natural Vitamin E (Antioxidant).



Apple gets a 9.5 of 10!  It smelled just like apple crisp and had a great touch of cinnamon.  I loved the green apple flavor that was complemented nicely by the almonds.  It was sweet but not too much!  A perfect treat :-).


RASPBERRY

Ingredients: Organic Dates, Almonds, Organic Cranberries (Organic Cranberries, Organic Apple Juice Concentrate), Organic Apples, Macadamia Nuts, Raspberry Juice Concentrate, Sea Salt (Real Salt®), Natural Vitamin E (Antioxidant).



Raspberry gets my 1st 10 out of 10!  I absolutely love raspberries and this bar got their flavor perfectly!  And who can have anything against almonds?


BLUEBERRY 


Ingredients: Organic Dates, Almonds, Organic Blueberries (Organic Blueberries, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice), Macadamia Nuts, Organic Blueberry Juice Concentrate, Organic Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sea Salt (Real Salt®), Natural Vitamin E (Antioxidant).

Blueberry gets a 9 of 10.  It was sweet and the blueberry puree was wonderfully smooth on the top layer.  The almonds added a great crunch, and the two layers complemented each other perfectly :-).


CHERRY POMEGRANATE 

Ingredients: Organic Dates, Almonds, Organic Cherries (Organic Cherries, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice), Macadamia Nuts, Organic Cherry Juice Concentrate, Organic Pomegranate Juice Concentrate, Sea Salt (Real Salt®), Natural Vitamin E (Antioxidant).

Cherry Pomegranate gets a 9 out of 10 too.  It was mostly cherry flavored with a hint of pomegranate.  Just great!

Overall, I think these bars were awesome (and they each contain one serving of fruit)!  The only complaint would be that the top layer can be just a tad sticky.  The flavor is right on par though, and I really think these bars are going to give the Larabars a run for their money.  Of course, the fact that there are only 4 Clif C flavors as of right now does mean that Larabar lovers won't be turning sides quite yet... 

Anyway, I'd suggest you give them a try for yourself and see how you think they compare!  For more Clif C facts, look here: http://www.clifbar.com/food/did_you_know/C331

Now, I really must resume my preparations for Midterms next week :-(.

Don't forget to enter my Zevia giveaway: http://foodfotosandfun.blogspot.com/2010/02/zevia-review-and-my-first-giveaway.html


P.S. The formatting of this post was supposed to look much better with photos side by side instead of one on top of the other, but when I published it, there wasn't enough room for that :-(.  I need to become more blog literate!





4 comments:

  1. Oooh - I saw these last week and almost tried one, but restrained. (I have bars in overstock, lol.) But I think I may just have to cave with my next trip for groceries :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. um YUM! this is so exciting. i've been avoiding clif bars bc they're so high in calories. i know, i should ignore that and look at the health benefits, but i've been a scaredy cat. i need to try the carrot cake flavor. i can't wait to go buy those! i want raspberry and blueberry asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh ashley--i just read your lilac-scented superpower thing. hahah. i have a serious lilac obsession, but they don't grow in SC. ahhh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad Clif came out with a bar similar to the Nectars since they discontinued those (sadness!!).
    The C bars look really yummy. Haven't been able to find them here yet though :/

    Ashlei

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it :-).